A personal favorite of mine, I have been enjoying Fat Coffee, or Bulletproof Coffee, for 6+ months now (note: I only use ghee, as butter still contains the casein protein which can be suspect for digestive stress and opiate activation/addiction). I have been adding reishi to my coffee on and off as a way to support additional stressors which come up in my life.
In my life stress comes in the form of less than 6 hours of sleep, changes in my sleep cycle (times), lack of quality sleep (I use an app called Sleep Cycle), poor dietary choices (yes, I too eat junk from time to time), alcohol consumption, travel, emotional distress via relationship changes, financial concerns, longing for a life I currently am not living (related to how busy I become without breath or slow down).
I rarely get sick but when I begin to feel less that 100%, I often use reishi as my tonic. There are a myriad of herbal adaptogens in the world and each has its own protective properties and supports different metabolic pathways. Each patient I see often requires some form of adaptogen to maximize their nervous system’s response to stress. Here is a step-by-step for a delicious bulletproof coffee.
How to Make Reishi Mushroom Coffee:
- Add 1 tsp. of reishi mushroom powder and 32 oz. of purified water to a pot and boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Measure 5-10 tbsp. of ground coffee (according to preferred strength) and place in french press. Pour reishi water mix over coffee grounds and steep for 4 minutes.
- Return to pot and heat on medium-low. Add a healthy tbsp. of coconut oil and maybe some butter or ghee. Optional: add some almond milk or cream.
- Blend together using an immersion blender. Have a nice day!